Dog Whistle Training Techniques
Dog whistle training has been a technique used to raise dogs for a long time. Dog whistles emit a sound that humans cannot hear, but dogs can because of the frequency. The dog whistle is a useful training tool for many situations, but is especially good for conveying a message to your dog at a distance. See the following guide to using a dog training whistle for training.
• Buy a dog training whistle and a lanyard. Plastic dog whistles are normally better than the metal ones as they do not get too cold in the winter and will not hurt you if the dog knocks you while it is in your mouth.
• Before properly using the dog whistle you should test it out on your dog. When your dog is in a calm mood, blow the whistle and look for a reaction. If the dog does not respond, you may need to adjust the frequency until you find one that works. If you have a dog training whistle that is not adjustable and the dog has no response, you will have to buy another one of a different frequency.
• Start dog whistle training by adding the whistle to your existing “come” or “here” verbal commands. Whenever you call your dog, say the name, then your “come” command and accompany this with 3 short whistle blows. Repeat this as much as you can.
• Use the dog whistle for the “sit” command too. Give the command then blow one short pip. Make sure the dog sits on this whistle command.
• Practise the “command” dog whistle command whilst the dog is on a lead. Praise and reward when he is successful. Take him off the lead and gradually begin to increase the distance you want him to return from using the dog training whistle. Add some distractions and obstacles too.
• Repeat this process everyday. Soon enough the dog will no longer need verbal commands and will act upon the whistle sounds alone. This training technique can be used for all sorts of tasks, but just remember to use a different whistle sequence for each one so that the dog can differentiate between them and know what is expected of him. You must be consistent with the dog whistle or it will never work.