How to Teach a Dog to Roll Over | Dogs and Puppies
Teaching a dog to roll over isn’t as hard as you might think. If you are considering teaching your dog this trick then you should have already mastered the more basic commands of stay, down and sit. Dog training is a fantastic way of spending more time with you pet and at the same time you are getting something beneficial out of it. Teaching a dog to roll over is a fun trick to show to your friends and this article will teach you how to do it.
Teach a Dog to Roll Over – Instructions
- Check that your dog is confident in the sit, down and stay commands before you start roll over training.
- The first step is to get your dog into the down position so he is laying on the ground and then tell him to stay.
- Next you will need to get a treat and hold it at a height that is above his head and off to the side above the dog’s shoulder.
- Instruct your dog to roll over while moving the treat up and over his shoulder to the other side. To begin with you should move your hand very slowly as your dog gets the hang of it you will be able to speed up the motion.
- If your dog tries to get up to get the treat rather than rolling over then you can place your other hand on the dogs back to encourage him to stay down.
- When your dog completes the trick successfully you must make sure you give him lots of praise and attention. If your dog doesn’t roll over do not punish him but do not praise him either as this could lead to confusion.
- Be patient when teaching a dog to roll over, it will take some time as your dog will not do it straight away. If your dog is having a bad training session then stop and try again tomorrow, you do not want him to associate training with frustration or he will become reluctant to learn.