Dog dies in Lockerbie after falling ill during walk
NewsTuesday 13 August 2013
A seven-month-old Border Collie (not pictured) died on Sunday afternoon, and a drugs sniffer dog has been called out to search an area of Lockerbie to investigate the death.
The dog, called Lucy, had been taken out for a walk by two children. She then became unwell and subsequently died.
It was initially thought that the dog could have eaten something, however, the sniffer dog checks of the nearby area have failed to identify anything.
After falling ill the animal was taken to a local vet. Lucy was found to have a high temperature and a racing heart and she unfortunately died overnight.
A police statement said: "At this stage the cause of death has not been confirmed and further examinations are planned to establish this.
"Early indications are that the dog may have ingested something when out in Cameron Close, and as a precaution, Police Scotland have searched the area around Cameron Close with a drugs sniffer dog, however this has drawn a blank.
"Environmental services have also been contacted and have examined the area for any evidence which may help in establishing the cause of death of the dog."
Police are keen to hear from anyone who may have been in the Cameron Close area of Lockerbie over the weekend and who may have seen or heard anything suspicious.