A 25 year-old man charged with setting his neighbour’s dog on fire has been found not guilty.
Sammie, a 3-year-old Staffordshire terrier cross, was chained to a tree in the yard of a house in Adelaide (Australia) while its owner went shopping for an hour. When she returned home she found her dog with extreme burns. It was then when Sammie’s neighbour was supposed to pour petrol over the dog and set it on fire in August 2009.
The dog suffered serious burns to 30% of its body and needed to have its ears amputated. The man charged with ill-treating an animal was found not guilty last Wednesday as the magistrate could not rule out the possibility someone else hurt the dog.
Sammie’s owner and the RSPCA are considering an option of appeal to the Supreme Court.