Heat stroke warning to dog owners after pet dies during walk
A heat stroke warning has been issued to dog owners after a seven-year-old springer spaniel died in Angus.
The dog, called Dylan, had been walking off the lead at a golf course on Monday when it chased after a bitch.
According to TheCourier.co.uk, he was then found hours later in an ‘exhausted state’ by another dog walker, around two miles away. Dylan was then taken to the Golf Veterinary Practice in Montrose and was unconscious by the time he arrived.
The vets then put the dog in a cold bath in order to lower his body temperature, which had gone up to 108 degrees. However, despite their best efforts, Dylan died shortly after admission.
This is a stark warning to dog owners who should seriously consider the issues brought forward by the warm weather before going out with their pet.
It is common knowledge that dogs can die in the back of hot cars, however, people should be aware that the heat outdoors can be dangerous too.
It is vital that you ensure your dog is well hydrated before it goes out on warm days and you should also always take water with you. You should always offer your dogs access to water before, during and after exercise.
When it is extremely hot outside, you should always ensure that you don’t take your dog out for some strenuous exercise.