Warning over virus after two Oxford dogs die
Dog owners in Oxford have been warned about a "highly contagious" canine virus that has left two pets dead.
The city council has received reports of canine parvovirus in Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys.
Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and fever. The disease spreads from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces.
The council said owners should check vaccinations were up to date and to disinfect paws before and after a walk.
A spokesman added the virus can also be transported on shoes and clothing.
Council dog warden Ken Williams said: "We've received three reports of ill dogs in the Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys area and two of those have died.
"I would urge dog owners to keep an eye on their pets."
Anyone concerned about their dog should contact a vet.
Source: BBC News