All Ad categories
    • All Ad categories
    • Dogs and Puppies
    • Dog Accessories
    • Dog Services
    • Events
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    Foods to not feed your dog

    Articledog food and nutritionFriday 09 August 2013
    Share:

    Feeding the dog a chocolate bar; we all did it as children, thinking of it as a kind and generous deed. Only later do we realise that doing this is actually very harmful indeed to the dog’s health. Believe it or not, there are actually a huge range of foods that we as humans would consider to be ok but are actually very dangerous for dogs and should not be fed to them.

    Avocado – Although this has become very popular among humans in recent years it is actually very dangerous for dogs. It contains a substance called persin which is actually toxic to dogs. If you grow any in your home then keep your dog away from the plants.

    Alcohol – Yes too much is bad for humans and we should not drink it but for dogs the effects are even greater. It can rapidly cause vomiting, diarrhoea, coordination problems, difficulty breathing and even death. Remember that the smaller the dog, the stronger it affects them.

    Onions and Garlic – No matter what the form, it should not be given to dogs. It helps destroy red blood cells which leads to anaemia. Once the dog has anaemia then you can expect weakness, vomiting, no interest in food, dullness and breathlessness. Stay away!

    Coffee and Tea – Coffee and tea is actually very dangerous to dogs as it contains caffeine which if it is a large enough dose can be absolutely fatal to a dog.  If not death then your dog is likely to face restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, fits and bleeding.  One pet savvy company have released a tea for dogs that is made out of only good ingredients and vet certified to be healthy for dogs. Take a look at our previous news story for this.

    Grapes and Raisins – Although there is no direct link yet, grapes and raisins have been known to cause kidney failure in dogs even if it is just a small amount. Within a day your dog will become lethargic and depressed.

    Milk and other dairy products – Even though it may be tempting to give a puppy a bowl of milk or share some of your ice cream with it, dairy products are actually quite bad for your dog. They can easily cause diarrhoea and other digestive upsets which can lead to food allergies. Your best to stick to the water and treats.

    Candy and gum – Anything like candy, cakes, chewing gum and that sort of thing should not be given. Most products like this contain an ingredient called Xylitol and this can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. This can lead to liver failure.

    Chocholate – The days of giving dogs chocolate should be well and truly over but still there are some people who still do not know so we will say it again. Chocolate is bad for dogs, very bad. It contains theobromine which can lead to a whole host of problems including voimiting, diarrhea and extreme thirst.

    Peaches and plums – As fruits there is not much wrong with these particular fruits,. It is however the seeds or pits which cause the problem as obstruction can occur. Adding to these the stones contain cyanide which obviously has its own problems.

    Raw Eggs – Raw eggs are also quite dangerous for dogs as they contain bacteria like salmonella or E. coli. The second is that an enzyme has an effect on a B vitamin a dog needs. This will cause problems with your dog’s skin and coat.
    Raw Fish and meat – Of course this can cause certain problems like food poisoning but many raw fish contain a parasite that causes many problems. By cooking the meat and fish this will help protect your dog.

    Certain bones ( e.g. chicken) – Certain bones such as bones from poultry can be very bad for your dog. Because they are brittle they easily splinter and this can happen inside your dog’s body causing fatal illness.

    Salt – Too much salt is really bad for a dog (like it is for a human). It will cause excessive thirst and urination and can even lead to ion poisoning.

    Your medicine – Not sure if this should be included as we hope most people are aware but never ever give your medicine to your dog and keep it out of reach at all times. Because we are different animals the medications humans use have different structures to dogs. Only use prescribed medicine from a vet to give to a dog. A paracetamol tablet will not have the same effect!

    Source: WebMD

    Photo: Wikimedia

    Articles
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //