All Ad categories
    • All Ad categories
    • Dogs and Puppies
    • Dog Accessories
    • Dog Services
    • Events
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    Dog dies after eating algae at Lake Windermere

    NewsUK Dog NewsFriday 02 September 2011

    Cocker Spaniel died after swallowing algae in Lake Windermere, according to the Telegraph.

    The 15-month-old dog went with its owners to swim in Windermere last Saturday, 27th August, but after few hours it started foaming at the mouth and shortly after died. The vet at Oakhill veterinary Group, Windermere, informed the couple the reason was a blue-green algae that apparently the dog had eaten. Since then, the couple have produced a leaflet and intend to visit Windermere, Bowness, and Ambleside, to warn other dog owners of the potential risk.

    According to the Telegraph, last September the UK's biggest swimming competition, the Great North Swim, was cancelled due to the prevalence of blue-green algae in Windermere.

    To read more news click here.

    Text and image source: the Telegraph UK

    Subscribe to our newsletter